Thursday, October 16, 2008

School assignments are in!

So I finally found out what school I'm teaching at. I'm at St. James Collegiate, which is on Portage just West of Polo Park. I'm super excited! And although I've probably driven past it dozens of times, I had no idea the school was where it is.

There was a wide variety of placements in my cohort(group of people that take courses in the same time slots). There were several for the Grey Academy, which is a Jewish school. There were also at least three people at Miles Mac, and even one at my old school, La Barriere Crossing, in St. Norbert.

There was mostly relief in our class when they were handed out. I don't think people were terribly upset about where they were, they were just happy to know where they were teaching. There were a few exceptions - one student seemed a little concerned about teaching at a Jewish school, and not really having much information on Jewish culture or rituals, which I don't think will really be an issue. Another student was concerned because they were assigned to a school which is within walking distance of their house, which means she'll know many of the students in the school. Again, shouldn't be too big of a deal as long as they maintain a professional attitude in and out of the school.

So now we play the waiting game. We meet our student advisers soon, and after that we have a Monday where we go to the school and meet our cooperating teachers. In all likelihood, we won't even know what class we're teaching or who our cooperating teacher is until this day, which is a week before student teaching starts. This is kind of nerve-wracking! But nothing that we can do about it but wait.

Anyways I'm going to go work on my technical development assignment now.

Graham

1 comment:

quinn.cornwell said...

Yo Graham,

I created the wiki, pass it on:

https://umeducation2008.pbwiki.com